“As is the case all over the world an armed crazy, stupid and terrorist individual or group can take stupid actions… Such isolated incidents which frequently occur in the West are considered terrorist acts. I don’t understand why in Africa they are considered coup d’états. It is the highest form of double standard and hypocrisy.”
Permanent Mission of the State of Eritrea to the African Union and UN Economic Commission for Africa
Ambassador Girma Asmerom’s (Permanent Representative of Eritrea to the African Union and UNECA) reflections on the so-called “attempted coup d’état” in Eritrea
Starting 21 January 2013 there has been a concerted and coordinated disinformation campaign by the media about the situation in Eritrea and the so-called “attempted military coup d’état”. There has never been an “attempted military coup” and there will never be a coup d’état in Eritrea. It is the wishful thinking of some quarters. I say this with impunity. You might say why not? It is a legitimate question.
1. The social fabric and the military structure of Eritrea do not allow for such disastrous and stupid action to take place.
- It is a society built on trust and an unflinching commitment to the unity of the people and the economic development of the country which emanates from the vision which is casted in the heart and mind of every Eritrean that our Martyrs, whose pictures are hanging on the walls of every house, have entrusted on us.
- As a national service participant as well as a member of the reserve and regular army, almost every able-bodied person in Eritrea is armed. As a result who is going to fight whom? And who is going to mobilize whom? Therefore, unless somebody is stupid or crazy he/she will not attempt a military coup that is destined to fail from its inception.
2. The country is so peaceful that:
- with the exception of the Air Port, no Government Office or Institution, be it the President’s or Ministers’ Offices, Hotels, or Banks etc… use metal detectors or electronic screening machines.
- Ministers or Military Commanders, including the President’s wife and children are simple citizens and live simple lives. You find them and see them in any public places without bodyguards.
As is the case all over the world an armed crazy, stupid and terrorist individual or group can take stupid actions such as kidnapping of individuals or taking hostages by raiding government and private institutions and offices. Such isolated incidents which frequently occur in the West are considered terrorist acts. I don’t understand why in Africa they are considered coup d’états. It is the highest form of double standard and hypocrisy.
The spin-doctors who have deliberately targeted the Eritrean People and Government, nine months ago said that the President is dead. Today they are saying there is an “attempted military coup”. I am sure that tomorrow they will come up with another fabricated news.
Rest assured that the President is healthy; and Eritrea is a peaceful country and its people and army are fully concentrating on their economic development agenda and protection of their sovereignty.
Permanent Mission of Eritrea to AU and UNECA